In Sweden, betting for money is legal, however, some regulations must be obeyed. These regulations, which are known as the gambling act, became functional on January 1, 2019.
According to the act, any wagering done in Sweden without a license is illegal and cannot be promoted. Interestingly, laws regulating gambling in Sweden are:
- Swedish Gambling Act (2018:1138).
- Swedish Gambling Tax Act (2018:1139).
- Gambling Ordinance (2018:1467).
- Regulations on fees for supervisory actions (LIFS 2019:3).
- Regulations and general advice on bingo for good causes (LIFS 2019:1).
- Regulations on license applications and permit applications for the possession of gambling machines (SIFS 2022:1).
- Regulations and general advice on responsible gambling (LIFS 2018:2).
- Regulations regarding exceptions from the requirement on registration (LIFS 2018:3).
- Regulations and general advice on commercial gambling and betting (LIFS 2018:5).
- Regulations and general advice on land-based commercial gambling (LIFS 2018:6).
- Regulations and general advice on gambling on ships in international traffic (LIFS 2018:7).
- Regulations and general advice on gambling at casinos and token gambling machines (LIFS 2018:9).
- Regulations on license applications (LIFS 2018:1)
Types of Gambling Licenses in Sweden
Before you can become a legal gambling operator in Sweden, you must apply for a license and receive one. However, there are six different gaming licenses available in Sweden. You can apply for one or more depending on the type of betting service you want to provide in the country. Listed below are the six types of Swedish gambling licenses.
State Monopoly License: This is the authority you should apply for if you want to operate a brick-and-mortar casino. In addition to offline betting, this license also covers different kinds of land-based lotteries.
Land-based Commercial Gambling License: To obtain this permit, you must be a restaurant or hotel owner with permission to sell alcohol. This authorization covers certain casino games, lotteries, and slot machines.
Betting License: This Swedish gambling authorization covers all online and offline betting. Types of events that can be betted on include horse racing and live games. However, participants must be above the legal age of gambling in Sweden, which is 18. In addition, you shouldn’t allow betting on events that are illegal or inappropriate. If you meet these requirements, the license will be awarded to you.
Commercial Online Gambling License: You need this authorization to operate an online casino that offers table games and computer-based betting. Interestingly, you can be granted this authorization even as a private operator immediately if you meet the requirements.
Charities/Good Causes License: You can organize land-based lotteries, bingo, and sports bets to use the proceeds to fund a charity or good cause. However, you need a permit for charities or good causes to do this. In some cases, all you have to do is register with the local authorities to obtain permission.
Betting on Ships in International Traffic License: Before you can offer betting machines like slots and other casino games on a ship making an international trip, you need to procure this permit.